Friday, February 22, 2013

A good day to roast a turkey - (with Howling Wolf Mediterranean Rub and preserved Meyer lemons)

Today when I woke up, the wind was howling, the snow was blowing, the kids had a two hour delay to the start of school because of weather, and I said "it is a good day to roast a turkey".

I had actually been planning this for a few days, and had decided to try something new with this bird. I split 4 heads of homegrown garlic in half across the cloves and put them in the cavity with 4 halves of my preserved Meyer lemons.  I rubbed the turkey inside and out with extra virgin olive oil and about 2 oz of my Howling Wolf Mediterranean Rub. Then I let it marinate, covered and sealed tight, for about 2 days in the refrigerator.

To roast, I preheated the oven to 400F, threw the turkey in and turned it down to 350F.  I cooked it upside down to keep the breast meat extra moist.   I know it is done when the juices run clear when poked between the breast and the thigh.  My 20 pound turkey took around 3 1/2 hours.  Let rest 15 minutes before carving.

This turkey was juicy, flavorful, and one of the best I have ever had. I highly recommend you give it a try, and you don't have to wait until Thanksgiving!

For more tips on cooking a turkey you can check the USDA website.